10.17.2012

Sunshine Goldenrod, Turtles, and Querencia

Hello all! I'm going to tell a little bit about myself through a social "experiment" that was performed on me last week by Meika (my R.A.). If you are from 5th South - STOP READING! She wants to do this with you all individually as well! So don't ruin the pleasant surprise for yourselves!

Midday Tuesday of last week, Meika and I sat down on Cougar Walk for our regular (every other week) lunch date as LAC (Living Area Council) and RA (Resident Advisor). Typically, in this role we are supposed to talk about hall events and what she wants my role to look like on the hall, but we often get lost in getting to know each other because we are so similar in personality and experiences.

One way she decided to get to know me was by playing a question and answer game with me, a "social experiment," if you will. The game consists of three questions that you have to answer with descriptive words and describing how the thing you answered makes you feel. Then, there is meaning behind the questions and your answers, but you don't find out until after you answer! It will be more clear if you read on...

Do the game with me and find some things out about yourself! 

I would recommend at least three describing words for each question. Here are the questions:

1. What is your favorite color and why? 

My favorite color is yellow - specifically what I like to call Sunshine Goldenrod - because it is bright, sunny and reminds me of being happy. It really reminds me of the sun, most of all, and reminds me of warm weather.

2. What is your favorite animal and why?

My favorite animal is a sea turtle because they are so cute! They remind me of being carefree, just swimming around in the ocean, but they also seem wise because they can grow so old.

3. Where is your favorite (specific or general) place in nature? (i.e. the ocean, mountains, etc.)

There is this one spot on Eleuthera in the Bahamas that I absolutely love. We had to find this spot for Island School and it's called a "querencia," which means where you feel the most connected to Earth, where you can be alone. My spot was in the middle of the Bahamian "jungle," if you will. There were these sink holes made from debris from a decayed golf course that palm trees had grown out of. It was the perfect spot to set up a hammock and just swing and be alone. I like the solitude of it because I like reflection in quiet places. I also love being in nature because it is calming and refreshing

What does this all mean?

Ready for some perspective? The adjectives I used to describe my favorite color are words that describe myself - bright, sunny, warm. The adjectives for my favorite animal are what I'm looking for in an ideal partner or future mate - a combination of carefree and wise. The adjectives used to describe your favorite place in nature are used to also describe your relationship with God - one on one, reflection, He's a calming/refreshing presence. 

Comment and tell me what things you said! 

No comments:

Post a Comment